Monday, August 3, 2020

MY LIFE AS THE EDITOR OF THE NEWSLETTER OF  CSCA

 Shri Atmaram Marathe was running a 'DTP Centre' in Chembur. On his request through a friend of mine, I did some translation work for him from English to Malayalam  He was very pleased with my work and asked me to join him in the shop. I offered to do the jobs for two hours in the morning. I could not spare more time for him due to many homely commitments. Thus, I reported at Atmaram's shop at 9.45 a.m. and left by 12 noon. Here I could do translations from English to Malayalam and Tamil and vice versa. In so doing, I learnt many things about various software, about preparation of legal documents, about tabulation and about the use of stamp papers. I helped him in other jobs too. I  found I could make at least Rs. 1500/- per month in this way.;

It was during this stint that I met Mr. S V V Raghavan,(SVV) who was functioning as the Secretary of the Chembur Senior Citizens' Association (CSCA). He came regularly in the third week of every month to type out their monthly Newsletter, copies of which he distributed among the members on the last Thursday of that month when they met in a meeting. He sat with me directing me to type that particular month's Newsletter. The Newsletter contained the programme  of the Association for the coming month, the events that happened during the month, the achievements of the members and the list of members whose birthdays fell on that month. He added some quotations from the vedas/upanishads in the end.

One day, Mr Raghavan suggested me to become a Life-Member of CSCA. It was more because of the friendship rather than my interest in the senior citizens that I agreed to join CSCA. I asued a cheaue for Rs. 1500/- as one-time fee for becoming a life-member.

In the next AGM, I was forced to take up the responsibility of the Scretary of GSCA by none other than Shri SVV himself. He opted for Chairmanship. So, I agreed since he was there to guide me and assist me. One of the duties of the Secretary was to tke care of the monthly Newsletter. This Newsletter informed the members about the activities of CSCA for the following month, to record any achievements of the members and about the names of members who were celebrating their birthdays during that month. After a few months, I found that the Newsletter was a dull affair. I wanted to make it readable. In one of the committe meetings, I got the consent to include articles from members and invited guests on topics of our interest, photographs, verses, good quotations, jokes and puzzles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment