Saturday, August 29, 2020

NAME FOR THE BABY

 

NAME FOR THE BABY

As we sat or our breakfast, there was the door-bell. I got up and opened the door for my friend Vinod. His flat was in the next floor below. He and his wife used to entertain us with their wit and they were very jovial. I have been their guest at breakfast on several occasions. He looked terribly upset and worried. It was very abnormal to find him this way.

I asked him to sit down and join us in the breakfast. He said, “Sorry, KRK, I am not in a mood to enjoy your offer. I am in deep trouble. Perhaps you only can save us. Please help me.”

“Is it money? Tell me your difficulty. Why am I here if I can’t help you.”

“No, KRK, it is not money. “

“Okay, not money. But, sit and have the tea. We will find an answer for your problem.” 

He sat down and took the cup of tea. Let me introduce Vinod to you in short. He married his girl friend, Deepa, against the wishes of their parents.  The parents of both Vinod and Deepa disowned them. Vinod’s parents were disappointed to have lost a good dowry and Deepa’s parents failed to get a foreign based son-in-law. As a result, I was the sole witness for their registered marriage a year back. I assured him once they get a child, the parents would forget all the past and accept them along with the grandchild.  Now, their infant son is one month old and they were planning the naming ceremony.  Vinod called up his parents begging them to pardon them. Vinod’s father was ready to pardon them but he insisted that the newborn should be given his name. When Deepa called her father, she too got a similar answer. He also wanted his name to be given to the baby as a condition to accept her and the child.

Vinod continued. “Now, Deepa insists that our son should bear her father’s name only. She says she will leave me if I did not agree to her father’s demand. I know it is only a threat, but I don’t want to spoil our relation on this silly reason.”

“That’s bad. But, I have hope.  I believe in Lord Guruvayurappan, the reigning deity of Keralam. I will pray to him and he will surely find out a solution. I know your father’s name. It is part of your full name. But do you know Deepa’s father’s name?”

“No” he replied. I said, “No problem. I will find out from her tis evening.”

I lighted a lamp at the picture of Guruvayurappan and prayed. Óh Lord, Vinod has placed all his faith in me and I don’t want to disappoint him. You know the problem. Please help me.”

I then went to meet Deepa in the floor below. She welcomed me. “Vinod had just gone to the market. Have some kantha-poha as you wait for him.”

I said, “Actually, I came to see the child. Where is he?” She led me to the cradle in which the baby was lying. He smiled at me, or so I thought. I called ou to him as ‘Junior Vinod’ and kept a currency note in his hand.

Then I turned to her as I tasted the dish. “What is the problem now?” I asked her.   

She answered, “My parents are ready to accept us on a condition that the baby should be named after my father.”

“And, what is your father doing?” I enquired.

“He retired as a lecturer in English. He is fond of writing poems and short stories. He has published a book of his poems. Yes, this is it.” She showed me the book.

The book contained verses in English. I scanned one of them. Pretty good. I put my finger on the name printed on the wrapper and said, “So, this is the name which your son should get, is it not?” I returned the book. “Don’t worry, I will get a solution and come back here in the evening.”

I reached home and straight went to the pooja room where Lord Guruvayurappan was smiling at me from the picture. “Oh Lord, how easily you have solved my dilemma? Thank you, thank you.”

I went to my study and took two pieces of paper. I wrote Vinod’s father’s name in one and Deepa’s father’s name in the other. Then, I rolled them tight and kept them at Lord’s feet.

I called up Vinod and asked both of them to come up to my house with their child immediately.

“I have the answer to your problem.” I told them. Very soon they appeared at my door.

“Come. Sit down. I have the solution which both should agree to, as Lord’s will. Both of you believe in God’s decision, don’t you? Come to my pooja room and accept Lord’s decision.”

“But, KRK, I cannot displease my dad” said Vinod. “Nor can I” ecoed Deepa/

I turned to them. “Listen, pray to your favourite deity in this picture of Guruvayurappan. The baby can have only one name. Leave it to your Lord for making the choice. Here, I have two rolls of paper. I have written Vinod’s fater’s name in one, and Deepa’s father’s name in the other. I am keeping them at Lord’s feet. Bring your son to the Lord’s feet and let him touch one of the chits. Whichever he touches will be the one with his name. Please accept His decision.”  

Vinod brought the baby to the Lord after a brief prayer. Deepa too joined him. The baby dangled his finger here and there, and soon grabbed one chit. Vinod took it and opened.

“Thank you, Lord. My son will get my father’s name finally.” He cried and jumped with joy.

“Deepa snatched the chit from his hand and exclaimed, “No, Vinod. This chit has my father’s name. Not yours. At last, my son will have my father’s name” exclaimed Deepa.

I stood there and laughed.

Vinod came and looked at the chit in Deepa’s hand. “See, it is ‘Ramesh’. It is my father’s name.”

Deepa said loudly, “No, it is my father’s name.”

I went to them and said. “Be calm. Both of your fathers have the same name. That is how your wishes are fulfilled amicably. Be happy now. Call your parents for the naming ceremony.”

No comments:

Post a Comment