Wednesday, August 12, 2020

 

THE STORY OF MY CHARITY

It is  story that happened in the 1990’s. That was the period when a 25p. coin had a value. One could have a steel tumbler of filter coffee at Mani’s Café in Matunga. I have bought a bundle of palak or daniya leaves for that much of money. The bus fare from Sion to Anushaktinagar by 352 route was just 25 p. So, you must not take me as a stingy man or a miser when I gave just 25p coin as charity to a beggar. That was what happened on that day when I was climbing down the stairs of the foot over-bridge at Chembur Railway station.

At the foot of the bridge, a beggar girl approached me. She came to me, calling me as “Uncle, uncle”. She was extending her right hand and was carrying a baby in her waist. I opened my purse and found a 25 p. coin which I gave her. Probably, that was when you must have noticed me and spread the news in our Society, about my charity.

I saw her next day too. She approached me and begged me. I opened my purse and said to her “I have no change. Excuse me.” She coolly left a bit disappointed.

Third day, she was there again. I got annoyed. I can’t make it a daily practice. It would cost me 7 to 8 rupees a month, which is equivalent to 100 times that amount in today’s conditions. I went past her and answered, “No change, sorry” to her request, without even opening my purse. When I got into the bus, I opened my purse to purchase my ticket. There was a 25 p coin, which I paid to the conductor.

But on reaching home, I repented my action. I had told the girl a lie. I had to do penance for that. Tomorrow I shall give today’s due also to her. Then I modified my vow: I will give her  25p. coins whenever I get them. I won’t use them for bus-fare or other purchases.

On the next occasion, I bought an inland letter costing Rs. 2.50. When I gave Rs. 3, I got back two 25p coins. Honouring my vow, I gave them both to that beggar girl. There were occasions when I used to get 3 coins as balance. And, I had to part with them to that girl! “This won’t do” I said to myself and I modified my vow: I would give those 25p. coins which are left with me at the time of returning home. Thus, I could use the 25p. coins for purchases, bus-fare, tea or drinks till I took the foot-over-bridge to go home. Thus, I could restrict the charity to some extent.

But yesterday, something terrible happened. I was entering the station compound for returning home ,when my eyes fell on a Tamil newspaper which had a sensational headline about Tamil Nadu. I wanted to read it. I asked the vendor for a copy. He gave it asking for 25p. I took out a 5-rupee note and gave it to him. As I stood there reading the headline, the vendor called me up and thrust something in my hand. It was a paper-wrap. He told me, “Saab, I have kept the balance in that bundle. You may count and verify. There will be nineteen 25p. coins in that.”.

And  I was at the foot of the foot-over-bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment